Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Spirit of Fear

I am so grateful to Pastor Todd (and the Holy Spirit) for the important message we heard on this weekend in worship. We needed to be reminded that God can conquer the spirits of our age. And the spirit that I have been noticing that is most prevelant around us is the spirit of fear.

Even this morning in kindergarten chapel our 5 and 6 years old were able to talk about their parents who are worried about jobs, parents trying to save money, and other family members traveling to find new work and employment. If our kids are hearing our concerns, then fear has become our unwanted companion.

Fear can be experienced by some as worry. Or as aniexty in other folks. But those are both rooted in fear. And fear, I believe, is more crippling right now that the actual economics of our times. Because fear is impacting, in a harmful way, our decision making and our attitudes. It is blocking our access to trust in God's providence.

Since this weekend, I have been specifically praying and intercessing for my family, our church, our elected officials, and our nation to be set free from fear. I ask that you join me in prayer. Ask God to remove our fear with God's perfect love and in it's place ask God to grant us contentment and peace.

1 comment:

Niki said...

Hi Michelle, I have a question for you if you could e-mail me at ngeurkink@gmail.com with your e-mail address.....I have attended your church a few times and am enjoying it. Art and Margie Wilson are my Great-Aunt and Uncle, that's how I learned about the church. Thanks for the e-mail in advance. Have a great day :)