Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Praying through the News

Has anyone spotted Noah floating by yet? The rains of today have kept us all on our toes.

In other news the news has been on my heart and mind lately- as it has affected all of us- stock market, severe weather, bailouts, stimulus bills, elections, ecomonic troubles in Iceland, England, and all over Europe.

I don't have all the answers- if I did I would be sharing those with folks in positions to impact and influence for the positive- but what I was reminded of today in prayer is that there is invitation in all of this trouble and trife. We are invited to dig deeper into ourselves and into the Presence of God in our midst.

One of my favorite Psalm sentences, which often guides me as I walk and pray a labyrinth path, is Psalm 16:11. "You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy." This is an excellent resource to guide prayer during times of pain, anxiety, fear, and difficulty.

My feet may not walk a labyrinth this afternoon in all the puddles and mud, but my heart will walk with this scripture upon it. And in that way I shall move through the news of the day- but only with the Presence of God and God's Joy with me.

What a delightful difference a companion of this stature makes!

No comments: