Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Economic Plan

I'll probably get some hate email from this blog, but I cannot hold back any longer. I just gotta go political. Well, at least economical.

I listened to President Obama's speech last night. I read the bailout bill last fall. I read the new economic recovery bill our Congress and President passed into law last week. I have been following the situation and talking, thinking and praying.

And I have an idea. Small, but radical idea that just might help. I learned about this idea from our Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class last year. My household actually runs our family budget based upon this plan. It works. It saves. It offers a sense of purpose and structure to our family life. It keeps us on our plan. And it prevents us from having a deficit or getting into debt.

Can you imagine a US Government that runs it's annual budget using the cash-envelope system? Yep- an envelope is marked for each item in the budget and you can only spend what is in that envelope. When the envelope is empty- well it's empty. You gotta plan ahead. You gotta be responsible and accountable. Emergencies- well that comes from the envelope marked "Emergency Fund".

Imagine Indiana's state government using the cash envelope system? How about our local church? Or our families using the cash-envelope system?

Now, I am sure that you are thinking the same thing I am thinking. There is a flaw. The problem is that this cash envelope system will take a lot of envelopes.

But that's a small paper problem compared to the ones we are facing...

No comments: