Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bible readin'

Our confirmation students crack me up! They are wiggly and squirrely, but that only highlights their intelligence, curiosity and wonder.

Super Bowl Sunday our class spent time on the Bible. We talked about who wrote it and why, when it was written, how it was translated, who decided what books were included, and what is in it, and how best to interpret it (so as to avoid prooftexting) etc. And these students were mesmorized!

My favorite moment of class happened near the end of our hour. Andrew and I challenged the entire class to read the Gospel of Mark before this coming week's session. One student, who always has commentary, asked with profound honesty and genuine sincerity, "Michelle, you mean you want us to read the Bible?" I hope I didn't let God down I answered, "Yes, yes, and yes!"

With that challenge in mind- I gotta go read myself. Wonder what sort of extra credit we can give these students?

No comments: