Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Where We Live

Finally, in the 16th draft- the 2008 Christmas letter has been put to rest- bed- or print. Now, is the second most difficult task of the annual Christmas card/letter writing gig: collecting all of the correct addresses for people.

Last night I waded through my old address book and discovered all sorts of names of folk who won't be getting a letter this year because they are now deceased. (Who knows? They may enjoy not receiving a letter this year. Maybe I can write- Heaven - as the address and the US postal service can deliver it like they take Santa's mail to him at the North Pole. Or is that too much mixing of church and government?)

Because I can now 'see dead people' in my address book it has become painfully obvious how outdated this ledger is. Another clue to how out-of-touch of my address book is that several couples listed A to Z are now divorced. Ouch.

I had no idea that addressing Christmas letters would be an exercise in grief work! Whew.

No comments: