Sunday, December 21, 2008

Singing with Mary

While listening to Todd's sermon this morning I was inspired again by the song of Mary. This song or poem she shares following the reception of the news of her part in God's salvation plan. My imagination got hummin' this morning. "What if God had asked me to be the mother of Jesus when I was a young teen? What would I have said or sang?"

Regardless of how I might answer those questions the reality is that God asks all of us to harbor his Son in our hearts. Will we welcome him? Will we accept the challenge? Will we sing with Mary? And what will we sing?

(below is my version of what you'll find in Luke 1:46-55)

My soul sings of God's glory
and my spirit knows joy in God, my Savior
for God has not forgotten me, a humble little servant.

From now on those who follow me will know what blessedness looks like,
because I will not stop talking about the great things God did for me-
holy is God's name.

God's generous forgiveness spills out and washes all people
especially those who recognize God's leadership and grace.

With strength God accomplishes amazing things.
God's mind searches out and then humbles those who are arrogant.

Leaders are impeached by God's standards of leadership and
those who are humble God gives opportunities to lead others.

Empty bellies God fills, empty minds God renews, and empty souls God befriends,
these are the good things God gives,
but the smug and conceited walk away unfulfilled and hungry.

God continually helps the servant Israel and her legacy the church,
God never forgets to offer mercy to Sarah and Abraham's children forever
because God keeps the promise made to our foreparents.

Holy is God's name!

1 comment:

Mark W said...

very good, Michelle.