Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fences



I have a thing for old things like black and white photos, rundown barns, and leaning fences. This fetish for broken, lopsided stuff completely goes against my neat and tidy cleaning philosophy.

This photo was taken during my "I- am- going- to- be- a- brilliant- photographer" days (which was prior to having a child and a dog. This was the time period when I had hobbies.) The day had been spent hiking through the 200 plus acres of my grandparents farm snapping photos all day. Trying to be artsy. Trying to preserve the scenery. Trying simply to enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of the landscape.

You don't have to like this photo, but I do. Maybe I am drawn to the leaning fence because I realize how much I lean with all the weights of my world. Or I feel tangled up in all the snarly weeds of life. Or I want to keep stuff in or keep stuff out of my life. Whatever the reason, I am drawn to this fence...

Want to sing a round of "Don't Fence me in..."?

1 comment:

Mark W said...

I have a love of old, broken down things as well.I prefer them in late fall or early winter when the surroundings are naturally shades of gray.