Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mothering Thoughts

Everyone has a Mom so everyone has a thought about what Mother's Day means. I have heard all sorts of sentimental to thoughtful, quirky to silly, and/or sad to tragic stories about this annual May holiday. Lots of these come via email. Some are in Hallmark cards. Others are whispered over coffee.

Yet, no one has expressed one of the surprises that I encountered with motherhood. All that sappy stuff has been said. All the hard work and crazy unappreciated acts has been discussed. Nobody I know, maybe you know someone, talks about bonding and motherhood.

Especially how bonding is a layering of experiences. Sometimes a moment or crisis bonds you to your child tightly. And sometimes it is a slow growing vine the creeps into your soul and tangles itself there. Often it is all this and more added up together that bonds child to mother and mother to child.

No one told me about how bonding works before I became a mom four years ago. Mostly I got advice about breastfeeding, where to purchase the right baby stuff, and "oh they do grow up fast, don't they" comments.

How we draw close to others, share intimacies of emotion and dreams is the stuff that motherhood (and fatherhood I could argue) is made of. Well, that at least is the stuff I honor as a mother on Mother's Day.

1 comment:

K.S. said...

As you well know my mother and I aren't always the best of friends. HOWEVER, lately we've bonded over the fact that most of the time I'm the only one she's got to talk to. So, with that respect it's good. But at the same time, she won't let me vent to her. I think it's that layering effect.

Anyway looking forward to lunch tomorrow.

Love ya!