Friday, May 30, 2008

Listening

My husband offered me some soul time yesterday evening. I didn't have to make dinner, clean up after anyone, entertain a preschooler- just be me. It was heavenly. But the best part was not doing the normal demands of life, but getting quiet enough to listen.

Stillness so I could hear my breath. Solitude so I could hear my thoughts. And after those thoughts tumbled out into my prayer journal, I put the pen down and listened... it isn't exactly a form of the breath prayer or a centering prayer, but rather a contemplative posture of inner stillness so that I could hear God.

I didn't receive any dramatic messages, but I did receive the blessing of profound presence in the silence and solitude. The experience made me hunger for more... but I simply had a few blessed hours... then the husband, kid, and dog came back in with their noisy needs.

I hope to listen again soon...

No comments: