Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Winifred's Witness

"I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, and for this reason I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers." Ephesians 1:15-16 

As I entered the dimly lit nursing home room, my heart paused a beat to see how small Winifred had become.  Curled up under her thin blanket she barely resembled the energetic, strong-willed leader I had known while I was in high school and college.  I had always admired this faith-giant because of her commitment to strengthen our church’s compassion in the world. 

Widowed and without adult children or grandchildren, Winifred now lived alone in the nursing home.  We shared news about my young family and our common church family.  Tears came to her eyes as she sadly stated, “Oh, I wish I had done more for the Lord!”  I asked her what more would she have accomplished.  She said, “I never really did anything.”  Politely as I could, I told this woman two generations older than I, that I disagreed with her. 

Then, I reminded Winifred of all the ways she had served not just our church, but our larger community.  She was passionate about missions and education for women.  She spent countless hours organizing and fundraising for various charities, but most of all, I thanked her for her ability to put together people who could make a difference for others.  She could build and create great teamwork.  She was the church leader who made sure I received mission scholarships which ultimately led me to pursue my vocational call into ministry. 

After the long list of stories tumbled out, Winifred’s winning smile open up wide!  In silence she patted my hand over and over, barely whispering, “Oh, thank you. I had forgotten all that”.  Out of the corner of the room, we heard the voice of her roommate holler, “Wow- gosh, I had no idea I had such an awesome roommate!”  All three of us giggled. 

Yes, when we forget what we have done for the Lord, we need another servant to come along beside us to help us remember just how much God’s Spirit has changed us to impact others. 

Precious Lord, help me remember how your Spirit has moved through me.  Most of all, help me encourage others who may have forgotten the witness they have been and are for you so that we can give you thanks.  In your sweet name, Amen. 

Who will you encourage today by remembering?



No comments: