Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gifts for the Preacher/Pastor Woman!

Throughout the years folks in my congregations have blessed me in so many ways.  Sharing their lives, telling me their stories of faith and allowing me to enter into their deep pain as well as their amazing joy- name just a few of the gifts I have received.

Another way I have been blessed has been through the giving of gifts.  A recent unusual gift has brought to my mind all of the gifts I have received and collected over the years.  The daughter of a long time church member stopped by my office last week and brought (wrapped in a towel) the gift you see below.

Her mother, dear Beulah, made Hillary and the family wanted me to have her.  (I think they are really looking to 'farm out' all of their mother's doll collection.)  They were very grateful for the funeral service that I conducted for Beulah a month ago.   Presiding at Beulah's service was a gift to me...



Looking at Hillary or having her look back at me with those big blue eyes... reminds me of all the other unusual gifts that have been handed to me with appreciation.  Of course there are the usual gift cards and cash gifts.  And I thoroughly enjoy when the kids in worship give me their art!  Always nice to receive.  But then there are the gifts that are as quirky as the givers!  And you gotta love that!!

Here are just a few of them:

  • Swiss army knife and jar of pickled pigs feet from a congregation in Granite Falls, NC
  • purse intervention by an 'auntie' in the church raising me up!
  • bottle of red wine (given after I completed a memorial service for her father)!
  • large bowl of 100 daffodils from my first senior pastor as a welcome to ministry gift
  • Duke Blue Devil cheerleader Barbie at my ordination as an Elder
  • unusual candle holders (have gotten several of these) and thoroughly use them with gratitude
  • Holy Communion cup and plate as a thank you gift (wow! it is a gift that keeps on giving)
  • more angel statues than I can count, but enjoy having around me!
  • John Deere baseball cap after I blessed the new John Deere tractor/lawnmower at my first congregation out of seminary when none of the other pastors would do it!  ha ha!
  • books... oh so many of these, but the pinnacle of those was the gift book our Staff Parish chair person gave me while I was on renewal leave.  Wow- the words in there were a touch from God!
  • and now little Hillary.  

You should see the BIG smile on my face as the memories of these gifts... and their givers... and the ministry that took place which brought about the exchange of gifts goes through my mind.  Wow.

I am overwhelmed with the wonder of generosity!  (happy contented sigh)

2 comments:

Todd Outcalt said...

No one has given me a doll (I want a doll!)...but I have received coffee mugs, a clock, photos and frames, original paintings, gift cards, and a baptismal pitcher. But I want a doll!!!!

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

LOL! Hang in there, friend! I am sure that we can arrange something!