Thursday, August 18, 2011

In Honor of Rodney

August 11, 2011 was the last day of Rodney's life on earth and his first day in heaven. Heaven is better off than we are because we will miss his humor, friendship and strength.
On Monday August 15th we celebrated Rodney's life and tucked his body back into the earth that he plowed, cultivated and planted with his seed business. I was honored to organized and speak at his funeral service. Providing that special leadership was one of the toughest things I have done personally in my professional vocation. Not sure I will do that again.
Looking out at the gathered faces of my family... and seeing their somberness and grief tug at my heart heavily. I am a woman of faith and hope, but it grieved me to see the heartache on such precious people. My intention in my sharing was to make them laugh because that is what Rodney would have done. Thank you God- that I was able to do that and more.
The Holy Spirit really moved through me, the hospice chaplain and our guest musicians to create a meaningful and beautiful celebration.
I have chuckled since Monday that it took a Methodist and Southern/American Baptist preachers, two Pentecostal musicians, in a Presbyterian Church (which originally was Methodist) to create this meaningful celebration! Rodney, no doubt enjoyed that joke too!
Love you and miss you, cousin!

No comments: