Sunday, March 20, 2011

Easter Hope

When I arrive in heaven, after meeting and greeting all my loved ones, I plan on asking the Creator about a few things. (That is unless I am completely distracted by all the wonder and glory of the place!) One of the items on my discussion list is a disease that baffles, frustrates and hurts people I care about; ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.


Last Spring during Holy Week, my cousin's husband was diagnosed with this disease after suffering a variety of odd symptoms. He is a very active and physically fit 45 year old entrepreneur, husband, and father of three teens. Almost a year later he is confined to his bed or wheelchair and aided by a breathing machine 24 hours a day. The disease moves that dramatically and that fast.


Rodney has not allowed that to stop him from being who he is. He retired from his seed corn business last May to spend quality time with his family. They attended every ball game of their youngest child last summer and were able to go on a family cruise around the Mediterranean.


He still has his entrepreneurial spirit, keen mind, tremendous wit, intelligence and honesty! As word spread around their farming, rural community of his diagnosis, Rodney as stunned by the outpouring of love, kindness, generosity and support. "I guess I am not as much of an a**hole as I thought I was!" Love that honesty!


If you attempt to discuss politics, history, economics and business with Rodney- good luck. As you will be challenged to get a word in during the conversation! He always has something to say.


As we approach Easter again this year- I am mindful of the suffering of our Lord and Savior Jesus. His suffering makes more sense in comparison to my cousin's disease. But I believe one thing- because Jesus himself has suffered, his compassion for Rodney and others like him is even greater. Moreover, Jesus' suffering and death does indeed transform and heal all things- including diseases that lead to death like ALS.


My prayer of thanks for this coming Easter is that because of what Christ did for us we have reason to celebrate HOPE in the face of such dreaded disease. Because the disease is not the last word about us... God's love, compassion and transforming grace has the last word.

No comments: