Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Missions Mania

Wow- what an awesome weekend at church! Two guest missionaries preached (Guatemala and Congo), two mission groups gave their testimonies (Russia and Mountain Top), a visiting group of UM youth from Illinois were on their way back from Red Bird Missions worshiped with us, and we collected over 129 back-to-school items for local community children in need! Whew!

I am pumped! I am excited! Hearing missionaries speak is like a shot of spiritual adrenaline for me. My mind and heart start racing at the ideas and the opportunities to make a positive impact in someone's life.

Missions can be contagious. My five year old discovered that. She heard a mission group share about orphans in Russia and then heard a preacher talk about hungry kids who are without a school in Guatemala. A question mark was formed on her forehead.

Our car ride home was filled with inquiry, "Momma, what is an orphan? Will I be one?" "Why are those babies hungry?" "Where are their mommies? Don't their Daddies work for dollars so they have stuff?" "Why?" "Why?"

Kids want to know the hard stuff and I'd rather she learn about these things in church than anywhere else.

To show the impact of our worship service ... later during dinner she was talking about all the dollars she had saved in order to shop for things. She sighed and said, "I have too much money!" (She won't say that when she's a teen!) I told her she could share it and give it. Reminding her of the children we talked about during worship that needed help. Her Daddy then offered- "For every dollar you give Mommy and I will match for $2.00."

Bright smile beamed on her face, "Okay!"

I just love generosity... it is contagious!

No comments: