Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pilgrimages

Last week while I vacationed three of my favorite people from Calvary were on pilgrimages. I love being a pilgrim. How about you?

Two of these friends were traveling all around Israel. They were visiting sites of Jesus, the disciples, and the ancient Hebrews from the Old Testament. It was the fulfillment of a life long dream to go and be a pilgrim in the Holy Land.

My other dear friend (who is more in love with labyrinths than I am) traveled to Chartres, France to visit the Notre Dame Cathedral of Chartes and it's wonderful labryinth. She has been wishing and hoping for this pilgrimage for many years and I am thrilled for her that she's now been there and done that!

While these friends were going about their spiritual journeys, I finished reading an insightful book on the way, or the journey which uses the labyrinth as a metaphorical tool. Here are a couple of keen insights from my reading that helped me reflect on my journey and also aided me in my prayers for my pilgrim friends...

Both the labyrinth and traditional pilgrimages are tools for teaching us the skills of self- observation, letting go, getting centered- aligning with the Divine, and taking action. (Eve Eschner Hogan Way of the Winding Path page 15)

In the name of God, stop a moment, close your minds, look around you. Leo Tolstoy

If we really want to pray, we must learn to listen; for in the silence of the heart God speaks. Mother Theresa of Calcutta


See you on the path- fellow pilgrim!

No comments: