Thursday, January 10, 2008

Puppies, Pizza Places and Parking Lots

Having a preschooler means that the questions, "Why?" or "Where?" or "How?" occur frequently in our home. A lot of time is spent answering where things come from particularly people, places and things. God is referenced a lot and has been a satisfying answer.

One day in mid-June after we adopted our puppy I decided to ask the question myself. I had a sense my daughter could give a great answer. We had spent months borrowing books about puppies and dogs from the library to prepare for our canine adoption. We had talked about dogs and their families, packs. We had even played with all of her stuffed animal dogs in preparation and had visited several pet stores and breeders.

"Where did our Duke Puppy come from?" I asked. I was stunned by the answer I received. After the slightest bit of hestitation I heard my preschooler say, "Parking lots of pizza places."

What?! For a moment I felt like a complete parental failure, then I reminded myself that preschoolers deal in the concrete aspects of the world... so I thought about how and why she gave that answer.

I soon recognized that she was right. Puppies do come from the parking lots of pizza places. At least ours did. The day we brought our pup home we met the breeder in the parking lot of a local pizza restaurant to make our 'transaction'.

No comments: