Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Jill of All Trades

Serving as a pastor often means that you are a jack or jill of all trades. Leader, fundraiser, counselor, organizer, recruiter of volunteers, editor, writer, social worker, teacher, speaker, life-coach, priest (in the sense of leading others in worship), manager and building and grounds supervisior are just a few of the various jobs that I do under the title and role of pastor. Some of these were discussed while I was in seminary, others were not. And I am sure that my colleagues would add jobs that I have overlooked.

Being a jill-of-all-trades in the service of Christ and His church can be frustrating. There are a lot of interuptions and role switching throughout the day and/or night. It can be exhilirating or exhausting depending on my attitude in that moment. It is definitely NOT boring! Which I have discovered, is one of the reasons, that I enjoy pastoring. I have the great opportunity to 'mix it up'! I get to use a variety of skills, try new skills, and strengthen weak skills.

Now if only I could get to my to-do list accomplished!

1 comment:

Todd Outcalt said...

Amen...don't I know it!@%$!*!