Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What I Learned About God from Dog Obedience School

For eight weeks this summer I took our new pup to dog obedience school (i.e. puppy kindergarten). I am not sure who earned our B. In fact I have never worked so hard for a B in my life, but we passed. There were moments during training at home that I thought for sure that we would fail the class.

One of our instructors nicknamed our pup, Tank, because he is just so think and bulky for a lab. After receiving our report card I think 'Tank' has more to do with his stubbornness!Anyhow, the entire experience was fascinating! I learned alot about dog psychology, dog training, and really about what a dog handler needs to do in order to insure the success of their dog's training.

The great part about dogs and the hard part about training them is that dogs are always perpetually 'in the moment'. That is how they can love and care unconditionally. But that makes it difficult and tricky for training. You need to repeat the lessons often!

Yet, what a great role model for people of prayer because we get too caught up in the past or too worried about the future- we need to learn to be with our Caregiver/Master/Handler in the moment as our pups are with us. Maybe then we would learn to trust more, listen more fully, and be more obedient to the leading of the One who Loves Us Unconditionally.

Anyhow- that's what I learned about God at dog obedience school this summer. It wasn't on the test on th elast day, but I think I got at least an A minus on this lesson!
Blessings,
Michelle

No comments: