Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Connections

This past weekend a group of women from our church attended our women's retreat. The delicious snacks, loud laughter, and long conversations into the night are evidence that it was a great experience of sharing and friendship connections for the women! I think we learned a few things too.

It seems that these women more than I remember from any other year I have led these groups, (and I think this is year #10), craved friendships. They were so grateful for the sharing! They were so amazed by what they had in common with one another. They were floored to realize that they weren't the 'only one' who was a single mom, or thought that way, or whatever. Some were simply grateful for the hugs. One woman stated that her family is so far away she doesn't get any hugs on a regular basis.

My experience this weekend makes me wonder if there is something going on in our world which makes us hungry, starving, and needy for closeness, intimacy, and companionship. It seems that things like the internet, blogs, chat rooms, etc. aren't satisfying all of our needs.

I am grateful for these women that there is a place and there is a group of people who can... by the grace of God... help us feel close, intimate friends with God- the church.

No comments: