Tuesday, August 18, 2020

My Limitations Meet God's Strength- Devotion #2 for Health Care Workers COVID 19

 


“Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; God’s understanding is beyond measure”. Psalm 147:5

I know a variety of helpers: teachers, pastors, nurses, social workers, doctors, therapists, spiritual directors, rabbi’s, and imams; and I recognize a look in their eyes right now.  I see that same look in my bathroom mirror.  A helpless, inadequate, over whelmed, I-am-not-enough, exhausted and anxious look as we confront the extremity of our world’s problems and realities with COVID-19. 

Do you feel small in comparison to all that needs to be done?  I do. Do you feel as though you are not enough?  I do.  And it is overwhelming, isn’t it?! 

The illusion of my strength has been stripped away from me.  I am vulnerable not just to the harshness of a contagious disease, but also I am vulnerable to how this disease and its disruption impacts others in our world.  And I do not like that truth nor vulnerability.

And yet, the longer I sit with the awareness of my limitation and the more I read sacred scripture I understand more clearly the majesty and greatness of our God who loves us.  As I reflect on how large, immense, and powerful our God is I recognize that I was never supposed to be everything to all people nor have super powers to defeat all things. That is not who I am called to be.  I am not supposed to be and do BIG problems...our GOD handles those. I am best as I am while allowing GOD to be/do God’s thing!

Limitless and relentless ...power, strength, hope, love, and peace pour forth from our GOD. Maybe that is what the Apostle Paul was trying to explain in his second letter to the church in Corinth when he wrote, “But (Christ) he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong”(2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

When I recognize my limitations and open myself for God to move with infinite love, power, and grace- then my weakness is fertile soil for God’s might to grow. 

 

Prayer

God of Power and Might, heaven and earth are full of our glory; where my limitations end, may that be the beginning of your unending grace to be more than sufficient for myself and those within my care. You are enough and all that I need. Thank you for providing.  Amen. 

 


No comments: