Friday, November 7, 2014

Another Saint


All Saints Sunday is one of my favorite liturgical Sundays during the church calendar year because we celebrate our loved ones, the gift of resurrection, the communion of saints, and the the wonder it is to be in the Body of Christ.

Since our last All Saint Sunday, my step-grandfather died. Gene was married to my maternal grandmother.

He had many quirks, hearing issues, and foibles, but he was very good to my grandmother and made sure she traveled around the world a bit.  Gene delighted in making young kiddos giggle especially my Diana.  He served our nation well during World War II and I am grateful for his service.  Gene was uncertain about things of faith, Bible and theology, yet he was at least willing to listen and allow others their beliefs.  He was an avid golfer, shrewd business man who enjoyed driving fast!

I know he was very despondent after my grandmother's death. So now since his passing in October of this year, I am grateful that he no longer struggles with health issues and moreover, I am glad that he is re-united with his first wife, second wife, and children who preceded him in death.

I celebrate that he was a part of our family's life for several decades and ensured great joy for my grandmother.  I thank you God, for the gift of Gene's life and his presence in mine.

No comments: