Thursday, June 19, 2014

Prayer Note to our Narnia Cast & Crew


Dear Cast and Crew of Narnia!

Can you feel and sense the difference prayer makes?  I hope so because you have been prayed over by name twice today with a group of amazingly God-dedicated ladies.  I spent the morning at Our Lady of Grace Monastery in Beech Grove.  Otherwise known as a house full of nuns!  And they are adorable!  :)

These Benedictine nuns (that's their order or 'breed') choose to seek God in everyone and everything!  Check out my attached photo.  These two words, SEEK GOD, are over the door which separates the public greeting area from the private residences of the monastery.  Makes me think about all the scripture stories about seeking GOD!

This week is a special week for the sisters.  This is their retreat week which means they are living, working, and doing ministry together in complete SILENCE!  No talking!  Other than the lovely perky nun who answers the phone and door... no one is allowed to speak unless in worship together.  They are reading special Bible passages together during meals or dining in complete silence.  And they are observing extra spiritual disciplines as a community like confession, lectio divinia, fasting etc. 

Intriguing! Imagine living, working, and doing ministry together without words, but deep silence.  What would that be like for you?  Your families?  Our congregation(s)?  Or even our TFC rehearsals? Imagine only speaking/singing your lines. Consider what we might hear from deep within ourselves when we are silent.  Or what we may notice in the world around us without noisy clutter?  Or how the voice of God may accurately become louder the quieter we become. 

I noticed something today as I moved up and down the hallways making my way here and there in the building.  We don't need talking and words as much as we think we do in order to build, create and have community/fellowship/teamwork.  The sisters that I would pass in the hallways gave me eye contact and a little smile.  No words from either of us- I have been there before during the silent retreats; I know I better keep to the rules.  :)  And I sensed deep community even with the silence.  Amazing. 

Praying for you each individually and as a developing faith community to build bonds of peace, love, and life purpose from Holy SILENCE!

Be blessed in the quiet today,


Pastor Michelle

No comments: