Friday, February 28, 2014

Lent Fast!


Moments ago I wrote on my "wall" of Facebook the following:

Facebook friends/family... as of this coming March 5th (Ash Wednesday) my Lent fast from Facebook/social media/on-line gaming will begin. I will use my FB/gaming/social media time for reading, prayer, reflection and maybe even a nap! 


During those 46 days until Easter if you have a birthday- make it happy! If you or a loved one has something sad or tragic happen- I am praying. If you, your kid or pet does something amazing- I am applauding. I realize that I will miss all of March Madness on FB- but such is a sacrifice. You know which team I cheer for (Go Blue Devils). 

If you really, really need me- go old school to call 317-852-2541 or email me (mknight@calvaryunited.org). I am eager for a deep and meaningful Lent. How about you?

Some time during Advent the thought grabbed me that I am over-addicted to my phone, Facebook, social media, on-line games etc.  Thus, my Lent fast began during Advent as I pondered what life would be like without any of these new toys, distractions, and addictions.  yes, social media is a terrific communication tool.  It is not evil.  But how I have become addicted to it bothers me.  

I do hope to spend time here with some reflections about how my time in scripture, reflections and prayer has re-shaping me during this holy season.

As Pastor Todd or I will say during our liturgy on Wednesday - "I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Church, to observe a holy Lent: by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's Holy Word."

No comments: