Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kingdoms Not of this World

Yesterday one of my friends and colleagues gave me a letter while I was folding costumes for another church to use in their Good Friday drama. The opening paragraph provides an succinct summary of our current situation in America...

"Our congregations are caught in the crucible of a nation which is trying to redefine itself economically and politically. She is engaging in multiple conflicts as well as attempting to compete with nations who are using sovereign wealth to achieve world dominance. Every time we go to the gas pump we become more and more aware of this."

My friend has captured the condition of our situation. A sad and unsettling description.

Which makes me all the more glad of something the-man-down-the-hall reminded me of (aka Todd). My colleague reminded me that we, Easter people, are pilgrim people. We are not for this world. O yes, we live in it and make witness of Christ in this world, but this world ultimately is not ours, but our Lord's to handle, solve, resolve, heal and redeem.

Moreover, we need not look to Caesar or the President, the Senate or the House of Representatives to solve our problems. We, who believe in the message of Easter, look instead into the eyes of the One who is risen from the dead; who has been to hell and back. He is the source of our solutions.

This Thursday before Easter- I shall look into the eyes of our Savior at the table with all my fellow believers... and wait on him to pass his broken body for our healing and to share the cup of his blood for our redemption.

Come, Lord Jesus, come our world needs you.

No comments: