Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Happy Heaven's 1st Birthday, Earthly 72nd, Dad!


Here are the thoughts I shared with sixteen family and friends who attended last Saturday's burial or 'tucking in' of my father's ashes in Vandergrift, Pennsylvania.  I thought I would share it today on my Dad's birthday- May 23.

"My father was many things such as an advocate for higher education, county line dancer, golfer, jazz enthusiast, traveler, and avid Steelers fan.  He had many roles like son, grandson, brother, nephew, uncle, father, father in law, grandfather, etc.  He was an intelligent, thoughtful, opinionated, charming, stubborn, astute, and compassionate man with many quirky habits and routines. He was complex and also one-dimensional. 

What my father craved most in this world was also what he struggled with the most- close intimate relationships.  He lived and loved the best he could.  Some times that was often not in the manner others of us wanted or needed.  But he loved, his way. 

He enjoyed deviled eggs, kugala, a good steak and a lively conversation.  He was proud of his family heritage and history.  He regained a different equilibrium with himself (and others) when he returned to his Catholic heritage and faith.  I am grateful to his parish, his visiting Communion steward, and his partnership with the Catholics Come Home program for reconnecting him to his faith.

Thank you for being with me today as we give thanks for Rich’s life…regardless of what is or is not resolved between Rich and each of us; said or not said; done or not done; thought or not thought; we trust in Jesus’ greater power to heal, forgive, and restore what needs mending.  Jesus is the Great Physician, the healer. 


My father is finally, at last, at true peace.  For that I am deeply grateful.  We gather as close to his birthday as we can… a reminder for me that eternity is a new birth for my Dad and one day each of us.  My prayer is that each of us experience the healing comfort of our Savior Jesus.  Amen." 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said, Michelle. I too am deeply grateful to those who joined us at your Dad's Burial Service and especially to YOU who in many ways accompanied him in his struggles and help lead him into eternal life. Uncle Mike