Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Forgiving: Embracing Freedom

This past Sunday morning I stood in the pulpit at our traditional service to deliver a message on the power of forgiveness.  I lacked sleep because we had been aware of my father's acute medical crisis in Indianapolis.  More than being aware of my fatigue, I was acutely aware of how forgiveness has been a major theme in my relationship with my Dad.

Our Christian faith informs us that we are bidden to forgive one another, as God in Christ, has forgiven us.  Over and over in the Gospels, Jesus calls us into forgiving one another and ourselves.  There I was preaching a message to myself more than giving a message to and for my people.  Trust me- when a preacher preaches to herself- it stings!

Forgiving others is imperative, not optional.  Jesus does not merely suggest forgiveness- but rather models, equips and challenges us to embrace the path of forgiveness throughout our lives. Forgiveness is the way of Christ.  Thus, it is the path of a believer and follower of Jesus.  And I am mightily glad that Jesus helps us because forgiving can be and is a very difficult thing to do.  I know this to be especially true with my dad.

Often our resistance to forgiveness can be summed up into two emotional responses: 1) "I should, but I don't want to" because our ego gets in our way; and 2) "I can't yet" which can be an healthy response to severe abuse or an invitation for more healing so that we can get over our own egos.

Preaching and teaching about forgiveness is very different from practicing forgiveness.  I can easily describe to you how 1) to ask for forgiveness or 2) to let go whatever you hold against a person. But doing it- being humble and letting go - those are moments when faith is lived.

Sunday afternoon through Tuesday morning my uncle and I were faced with critical decisions regarding my father's health care.  Fortunately, we were guided by an understanding of his wishes and our faith.  Knowing our time was short I whispered in my Daddy's ear, "I love you.  I forgive you. I know you love me.  And I ask that you forgive me for all the ways and times in which I failed to be the best daughter I could have been."

I had done much of my forgiving over the years, but the clarity of that moment of asking for forgiveness from him- was more freeing than I expected!  And it was a moment in which I prayed that my Dad would be launched with great freedom and joy into the world to come.  Indeed choosing to forgive is one of the most freeing and healing choices we can make in life.

I can attest that my burden is lighter!  I pray you will choose to forgive and embrace freedom.

See you in the forgiving place,

Pastor Michelle



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was deeply touched by your sermon and even more that you proclaimed it in the most difficult of times - to your Dad as he was dying. You are a model of our faith. You challenge us all to live our faith - to be forgiving in the midst of the messiness of the flesh and blood of our family. I am so proud and humbled to say that I am you Uncle, Mike