Friday, September 11, 2015

Missing My (former) Sheep

One of the most difficult aspects of itinerant ministry is the heart stuff.

I mean... loving people for Jesus and then, because of Jesus you are sent to a new flock. Then, while growing in love for your new flock your pastoral/shepherd heart is tugged by the weight of so many lambs for whom you deeply care.

Maybe I can express myself better.

I realized this week that I was homesick yet, at first, I could not figure out what or for whom I was longing.

Only after I heard sad health news about one of my previous sheep, did a realization hit me like the whack of a shepherd's staff to the head!  I am homesick for my previous flock.

This awareness has little to do with how loving and amazing my new flock is (and they are wonderful people/sheep!  So proud of them!).  Rather, this realization tells me something about my shepherd's heart.  I am missing my sheep...just as they knew me; I knew them.  I wonder about them.  Worry with them.  Pray for them.  Think about them.

And I just .... miss them.

Miss them because I love them.

No comments: