Thursday, September 19, 2013

Change in Appointment?

Not so long ago, one of my clergy colleagues asked with fascination, humor, and dismay, "But how do you have an appointment for that long?"

At first, because of the person's tone, I wondered if I had caught a horrible disease that threatened myself and others.  Then, reason took over and I was reminded that most United Methodist clergy who are elders serve an average of 4-6 years in one appointment.  Years ago the average was 2-3 years.

And here I am finishing the first quarter of my 14th year!  I currently hold the second longest tenure of any elder to serve Calvary United Methodist in Brownsburg.  Gosh- this appointment has lasted longer than most marriages! Ouch. I've been at Calvary longer than it takes kids to go through their basic public education.  Yikes! When you put that all together and hold it in perspective then my situation adds up to being odd.

And I am odd.

But then, odd or unusual or extraordinary describes the working of God's presence in our lives.

My answer for my colleague or anyone else is this..."Oh, Calvary has not been just one appointment in 14 years.  I have served 4 very specific appointments during my 14 years here."  The various transitions this congregation and I have accomplished together look like...

  • Appointment #1- retirement of senior pastor after his 18 years of service and transition to new/different senior pastor leadership (while serving full time)
  • Appointment #2- selling of 4th building and grounds, transition to temporary ministry, construction of new facility, (while a new mother and serving less than full time)
  • Appointment #3- massive growth after relocation (while serving less than full time)  Close to 1,000 members
  • Appointment #4- size transition adjustments (return to full time service)

Not every appointment is so extensive in it's offerings and opportunities for growth, change, and transition which cause a pastor to flex her various vocational skills as Calvary has been for me.  Whew!

All this reminiscing wears me out and excites me at the same time to step back and observe the entire situation!

No comments: