Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summer Reading

Now that my sunburn is healing and my dog is no longer eating rocks, I am onto other projects. Mulching flower beds, sorting leftover items from the garage sale, and reading through my summer stack of books.

At conference a couple of weeks ago a book about Benedictine monks/sisters caught my eye. I've been reading a chapter in the afternoons since that time. Thoughts on humility made me squirm and words about obedience made me cringe. Because I've had such a reaction to the book, I think it's been a good one to spiritually stretch me this summer.

Four other books wait their turn to be read as soon as I stop shuttering from St. Benedict's challenging expectations for the Christian life. I wonder if No Man Is An Island, My Soul Waits, Helping Our Children Grow In Faith, and Embracing Parents: How your Congregation Can Strengthen Families will cause me to bristle too.

I'll let you know how the reading goes.

No comments: