Wednesday, November 14, 2007

'Made in China' Free Christmas!

Because of the recent toy recalls, I spent yesterday evening in a pile of my daughter's toys. I was reading labels on everything. Stuffed animals. Fisher Price doll houses. Plastic toys from McD's etc. I was overwhelmed with information I gleaned.

All of her stuffed animals (even the ones my husband purchased for her in Japan) were made in China. Even her Build-A-Bear stuffed animals that she made in the US- the bear fabric she stuffed was made in China. All of her Leap Frog toys, music toys, Fisher Price Little People, Home Depot tools, play kitchen etc. were made in China. I found one plastic toy that was made in Mexico. And one set of Mega blocks that were made in Canada, but the bag to put them in was made in China.

The only toys that were not made in China are her books with the exception of four. My daughter's DVD's were also made in the USA. Several toys got tossed last night into the trash can.

My husband and I are a declaring this a Made in China free Christmas this year. It will not exactly be a 'home-made' Christmas, but almost. All of our daughter's grandparents, aunts and uncles are on the alert to not purchase any toys made in China. We are even writing to Santa to inform him of our wishes. We will consider alternative toys that are manufactured anywhere but China. And of course, books and clothes will be a big hit this year!

Furthermore, we are going to write letters to these toy manufacturers that we are disgusted with their production practices that put our precious ones in harm's way.

I hope that you will join us in our Made in China free Christmas this year. Perhaps this is simply a terrific opportunity to un-commercilize this holy season of expectation!

No comments: